Monday, December 1, 2008

ANB Arts & Crafts Show --- Juneau, Alaska

Front Table: Brian Chilton, Doug Chilton & Sonny
This is the first annual Alaska Native Brotherhood Arts & Craft Show held at the ANB Camp 2 on Willoughby Avenue in Juneau. This event also celebrated Native Heritage Day. There was about twenty vendors selling native art. Three Tlingit dance groups performed on the main stage, and there was native food on the menu at the cafeteria... including fry bread. The most popular event was the drawing... held on the last day which artwork was given away, donated by the vendors. The thing that everyone was waiting for was the silver bracelet engraved by Doug Chilton. It was a lot of fun... but very tiring... since we helped set up this event. Next year it will be larger... and it will coincide with the Juneau Public Market.

Sonny with his niece Nova
My niece Nova is so happy to see me... but she is shy when the camera came out. I look so tired in the photo... I had only about 30 minutes sleep the night before... I must make changes in my life so I never do a show with that little sleep. I wasn't the only one... Doug Chilton, Benjamin Schleifman, and Tom Wehnes were up with me to the wee hours of the morning.





Yaaw Tei Ti Dancers of Juneau
The Yaaw Tei Ti Dancers of Juneau performed during the show. All of together, three dance groups performed at the show. Another favorite group was the All Nations Childrens dance group, performed at noon on Saturday... this group has trained over hundred kids Tlingit singing and dancing. The vendors donated artwork for the drawing... which was popular... and of course... everyone loved the fry bread.

No comments: